50 million-year-old insect really was 'frightened out of its skin': Researchers discover exoskeleton entombed in amber as it tried to escape approaching tree sap

Mail Online | 7/15/2016 | Cheyenne Macdonald For Dailymail.com
Frost123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/14/22/3648EAD200000578-0-image-a-85_1468531717954.jpg

In a moment of fright, it’s often said that you’ll ‘jump right out of your skin’ – but for one ancient insect, that’s just what happened.

Researchers have discovered a 50-million-year-old deposit of Baltic amber containing the exoskeleton of an ancient insect, which appears to have rapidly shed its skin in order to escape the flowing sap.

Specimen - Mushroom - Baltic - Amber - Hair

The specimen also contains the first mushroom ever found in Baltic amber, along with the hair of a mammal thought to have bitten it from the base of a tree.

Researchers say this discovery provides a rare glimpse at the interactions of ancient life forms, acting like a ‘docudrama’ of life 50 million years ago.

Find - Offers - Aspects - Ecosystem - Forest

This rare find offers insight on multiple aspects of the ecosystem of the ancient subtropical forest, with the tiny mushroom, the insect exoskeleton, and a mammalian hair, thought to be from a rodent.

The amber comes from an area near the Baltic Sea that now represents...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .

Comments

• To make the next bus to Philidalphia?
  • Just another bloody faker and liar, like all too many clothes
    A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a Government intervention.
  • (The day you lot stop being such liars will the weather be like tomorrow?
    Never under estimate the power of the people, especially when they are a stupid mass!