A fan of mystery meatloaf Mondays, then? Lena Dunham reaches peak hipster as she accuses her former college of 'cultural appropriation' for serving sushi and Vietnamese sandwiches in the dining hall

Mail Online | 7/15/2016 | Dailymail.com Reporter
blockstyleblockstyle (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/15/07/364B4E3200000578-0-image-a-45_1468562899310.jpg

Lena Dunham has spoken out in support of her alma mater Oberlin College, where the dining hall has been accused of 'cultural appropriation' for serving the likes of sushi and Banh Mi sandwiches.

Students began protesting the liberal Ohio college's incorporation of Asian cuisine on the cafeteria menu in November.

Dishes - Recipe - Others

They found some dishes 'offensive' because it messed with the original recipe and felt 'wronged' by others for not tasting good.

'There are now big conversations at Oberlin about cultural appropriation and whether the dining hall sushi and Banh Mi disrespect certain cuisines,' Dunham told Food & Wine.

Press - Oberlin - Kids

'The press reported it as, "How crazy are these Oberlin kids?" But to me, it was actually, "Right on.'"

One of the students' biggest gripes was with the Banh Mi Vietnamese sandwich that swapped the traditional baguette with ciabatta bread and used coleslaw and instead of pickled vegetables.

'It - Diep - Nguyen - Freshman - Vietnam

'It was ridiculous,' Diep Nguyen, a freshman from Vietnam, told The Oberlin Review in November.

'How could they just throw out something completely different and label it as another country's traditional food?'

Prudence - Hiu-Ying - Sophomore - China - Way

Prudence Hiu-Ying, a sophomore from China, felt the same way when...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!

Comments