Deputy union says it has 'no confidence' in Broward Sheriff Scott Israel

Sun-Sentinel.com | 4/26/2018 | Staff
leeann77 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.trbimg.com/img-5ae2484f/turbine/fl-sb-sheriff-no-confidence-results-20180425?&imgtype=.jpg

A deputies’ union on Thursday decided it has “no confidence” in Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, citing crushed morale amid national criticism of how the agency handled its response to the Parkland school massacre.

The Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputies Association revealed 85 percent of the union members who voted — 534 out of 628 — said they had no confidence in the sheriff. The plan is to send the results of the vote to Gov. Rick Scott, urging him to “make change and replace the sheriff with somebody who is capable of amazing leadership.”

Jeff - Bell - Union - President - Members

Jeff Bell, the union president, said the “members have displayed great courage to come out and vote under threat of retaliation and reprisal from the sheriff.”

He added, “Amazing leadership starts from the top, and there is no amazing leadership here. We are a ship out at sea with no power — adrift.”

Statement - Sheriff - Israel - Union - Vote

In a statement, Sheriff Israel called the union’s vote an attempt to extort a pay raise.

“I am accountable to the citizens of Broward County,” the sheriff said. “My job is to continue to do the job I was elected to do, which is to ensure the safety of Broward County’s 1.9 million residents. I will not be distracted from my duties by this inconsequential IUPA union vote, which was designed to extort a 6.5 percent pay raise from this agency.

Ballot - Reflect - Number - Employees - Unions

“Those who purportedly voted in this straw ballot reflect only a small number of the 5,400 employees. The unions representing the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Sun-Sentinel.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!