‘The Handmaid’s Tale’: Elisabeth Moss May Be Oppressed on Screen, but Behind the Scenes She’s in Control

IndieWire | 4/25/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/tht_201_gk_0330rt-1.jpg

“The Handmaid’s Tale” star Elisabeth Moss has found her voice. In making the second season of Hulu’s Emmy-winning dystopian drama, Moss discovered a world of difference vs. Season 1: While she might play a woman trapped under authoritarian rule, behind the scenes she felt able to speak out a whole lot more.

“It’s made me a stronger person,” the Emmy winner said about her experience making the critically acclaimed series about a future world where women have no rights. “Having to say my own ideas, having to go up against people, having to argue, has definitely brought out, I think, a bit of a strength in me that I didn’t know that I had.”

Moss - Star - Series - Producer - Year

This was because Moss isn’t just the star of the series. After serving as a producer last year (a job at which she worked hard, because the title wasn’t just “a vanity credit”) she became an executive producer in Season 2.

“Mainly because I inserted myself into so many situations in Season 1 that they were like, ‘let’s just make her an executive producer,'” she said. “Which just means more responsibility, which I love. It’s been, honestly, so incredibly fulfilling, that side of it. It only informs the acting for me, because I’m involved in things from the very, very beginning.”

Moss - Months - IndieWire - January - Show

Moss has been incredibly busy in recent months, but spoke to IndieWire last January while the show was still midway through production on the 13 new episodes. And the experience, she said, had taught her a lot about how to behave off screen, especially in collaboration with showrunner Bruce Miller.

“The moments where she talks about things that don’t work for her have increased from Season 1 to Season 2,” Miller told IndieWire. “And it’s not always ‘This doesn’t work.’ It’s, ‘Is there a way to make this better? This...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The American Government, working tireless for everyone, except Americans.