'He saved many lives': Waffle House hero James Shaw Jr is hailed by Tennessee lawmakers in a resolution praising his 'indescribable bravery'

Mail Online | 4/24/2018 | Rory Tingle For Dailymail.com
chicana948 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/04/25/00/4B841A2200000578-0-image-a-19_1524610921353.jpg

Waffle House hero James Shaw has told Tennessee lawmakers he faced 'the true test of a man' when he wrestled an AR-15 off a crazed and naked gunman during Sunday's mass shooting.

Speaking on the floor of the state's House of Representatives on Tuesday, James Shaw Jr, 29, insisted he acted to save his own life when he rushed gunman Travis Reinking, before grabbing his weapon and pushing him out of the door.

Room - Eyes - Shaw - House - Members

'I never thought I'd be in a room with all the eyes on me, but you know, I'm very grateful to be here,' Shaw told House members, who passed a resolution praising him for saving numerous lives.

Brennan McMurray, who was dining with Shaw, his best friend, at the restaurant, also spoke on the floor of the House.

Representatives - Shaw - 'sometimes - Friend - Time

He told representatives that Shaw 'sometimes doesn't listen to me', before turning to his friend and adding, 'and this, by far, is the best time you haven't listened to me'.

The resolution passed by the house read: 'No matter his motivations, Mr. Shaw is indeed a hero; his actions on that fateful morning are unfathomable to most, indescribable by even the chief of police, and very poignant to the citizens of Nashville, who are deeply grateful for his brave actions in the face of extreme adversity that saved many lives.'

Shaw - Father - Girl - Toilet - Reinking

Shaw, the father of a four-year-old girl, initially hid in the toilet but Reinking shot through the door, grazing his forearm, and the father-of-one decided it was time to fight back.

'I acted in a blink of a second. When he reloaded his clip, which felt like 30 minutes. I looked at him, and he wasn't looking at me. He just had the barrel down. It was like, 'Do it now. Go now.' I just took off,' he told the New York Times.

'I hit him...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!