Texas 8th-graders told to list 'positive' aspects of slavery for history assignment | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

star-telegram | 4/20/2018 | Staff
ziggy1023 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://pics.mcclatchyinteractive.com/incoming/zfk8yt/picture209430739/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/castro.jpg

Last evening Great Hearts was made aware that one of our teachers at the Monte Vista North campus assigned homework that...

Posted by Great Hearts Monte Vista on Thursday, April 19, 2018

The lives of American slaves had both "positives," and "negatives." List them.

That's what one San Antonio charter school homework assignment said. It was sent home with eighth-graders on Wednesday.

Wife - Son - School - Parking - Lot

"My wife picks [our son] up from school and as soon as they pull out of the parking lot, he showed her the assignment and was pretty distraught by having to perform such a classroom assignment," concerned parent Robert Livar told KABB. "Naturally my wife was upset, sent me the photo that went viral."

Online furor ensued, much like similar incidents where school assignments have appeared to sugar-coat the institution of slavery while teaching the atrocities of generations past in the U.S. In January, a fourth-grade assignment at a Lutheran school in Wisconsin asked students studying the Civil War to "give three good reasons for slavery," according to WITI.

Thursday - San - Antonio - Charter - School

On Thursday, the San Antonio charter school, Great Hearts, Monte Vista campus, issued an apology for the assignment, which also said that the teacher who assigned the homework had been placed on leave "while we have time to collect all the facts."

"To be clear, there is no debate about slavery," the apology read, in part. "It is immoral, and a crime against humanity."

US - Rep - Joaquin

U.S. Rep. Joaquin...
(Excerpt) Read more at: star-telegram
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It just doesn't get bettere than this...