Inside the Mexican psychedelic drug rehabs where scores of Americans (and Matthew Mellon) flock in a desperate bid to get off opioids - as even top doctors admit 'we have few other options' to fight the addiction crisis

Mail Online | 4/19/2018 | Natalie Rahhal For Dailymail.com
marisha (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/04/19/18/4B51673A00000578-0-image-a-21_1524159771974.jpg

Adrienne Porter tried to get clean several times, but the methadone that was supposed to help her quit taking prescription opioids just led her to heroin.

Narcotics Anonymous, 12-steps, suboxone - she knew the options available in her hometown of Indianapolis, Indiana worked for some people, but she was just as certain that they wouldn't for her.

Treatment - Mind - Decade - Ibogaine

One treatment, though, had stuck in her mind since she'd first stumbled across it online, a decade before she stopped using: ibogaine.

Adrienne is now 44 and has been clean for 18 months since she flew to Mexico to spend a week in September of 2016 preparing for and taking the psychedelic drug at the Ibogaine Institute.

Ibogaine - Powder - Root - Shrub - US

Ibogaine is a psychoactive powder made from the root of a West African shrub and it is illegal in the US, though many addiction experts now say it deserves to be researched here.

Recently, Americans desperate to get clean, have been fleeing to Mexico to take ibogaine or another psychedelic, ayahuasca, but the drugs are unregulated and have been linked to the death of tech billionaire Matthew Melllon this week.

Ibogaine - Clinics - US - Members - Community

Ibogaine clinics mostly operate underground, but as the opioid epidemic continues to plague the US, even prominent members of the medical community are pushing for laws against the drug to be slackened so that it can go through clinical trials.

But for Adrienne and 2.6 million opioid addicts in the US, that day quite literally cannot come soon enough.

Time - Adrienne - Mexico - Year - Diet

By the time Adrienne decided to go to Mexico last year, she 'had been living on a diet of speedballs and dry cereal for a while,' she says.

'You might think "how can a person even survive on that?" I wouldn't recommend it, but you can,' she says.

Breaking - Point - Revelation - Adrienne - Realization

There was no single breaking point or revelation for Adrienne, but the slow realization that 'I'm not...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
One of the countries we liberated was Russia, too bad it seems to have cost us our liberty.