'I joked "it’s been nice knowing you"… I knew it might be the last time I’d see her': Father of British woman, 26, killed fighting ISIS in Syria tells of his anguish and pride at his 'unstoppable' daughter

Mail Online | 7/5/2017 | Anthony Joseph;Julian Robinson for MailOnline;Paul Bracchi for the Daily Mail
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/03/20/02/4A5A16E300000578-0-image-a-64_1521511405840.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/03/14/4236630195574556484/1024x576_MP4_4236630195574556484.mp4

The father of a British woman who died in Syria after joining an all-female Kurdish brigade in their battle against ISIS has paid tribute to his 'unstoppable' daughter.

Anna Campbell, from Lewes in East Sussex, died on March 15 in a Turkish missile strike while travelling in a convoy in the Kurdish enclave of Afrin.

Woman - Syria - YPG - YPJ - Groups

The 26-year-old is the first British woman known to have died in Syria with the YPG or YPJ groups, which have around 50,000 Kurdish men and women fighting in northern Syria.

The qualified plumber travelled to Syria in May last year to help the Kurds, who were battling ISIS. But she reportedly left the fight against the terror group in Deir ez-Zor, to defend Afrin, which was being bombarded by Turkish forces attacking the Kurds along the northern Syrian border.

Turkey - Forces - Enclave - Terrorists - Offensive

Turkey views the Kurdish forces in the enclave as terrorists and launched an offensive in the area on January 20.

Yesterday in an emotional interview with the Mail, Anna’s grieving father Dirk, 67, told how he had been powerless to prevent his daughter leaving the UK.

Two-bedroom - Flat - Mansion - Lewes - Tribute

Speaking at his two-bedroom flat in a large Victorian mansion in Lewes, he paid tribute to his ‘brave and beautiful’ daughter. Her two sisters Rose and Sophia were also present and wept as their father spoke about Anna.

‘She had a lot of friends and she was very popular with many people,’ he said.

Mr - Campbell - Daughter - Life - Fight

Mr Campbell said his daughter had dedicated her life to the fight against ‘unjust power and privilege’ and ‘put herself on the line for what she believed in’.

‘Anna was very brave, she was very beautiful and was really idealistic, a dedicated idealist,’ he said.

‘She went there knowing what might happen to her.’

Mr Campbell told the Guardian 'I didn’t try to stop her because I knew, once she had...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!