Letters are Better Than Fetters

Blog & Mablog | 3/13/2018 | Douglas Wilson
Click For Photo: https://dougwils.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Letter-11-331x450.jpg

Keith, when our controversy a few years ago “hotted up,” a number of random Internet warriors began declaiming against us, denouncing not only what they assumed had happened, but also against our character, etc. Boz was one of them; he joined right in with all of this. He was deaf to private entreaties, and as I said in the post, those efforts ended with us receiving the threat of a lawsuit.

Even if he says that his intention was to bring about an “objective investigation”—as he is currently saying about the SGC situation—this is not to the point. It is like saying that the “health department really ought to test the quality of the city pool, but in the meantime I might as well continue to pee in it.”

Concern - Statement - Time - Abusers - Authorities

My concern is with the statement: “We cannot assume we live in a time when sexual abusers can simply be handed over to righteous civil authorities.” (Please note from the outset that I am not referring to anything that happened at Christ Church where I understand the civil authorities were told.) It is undeniable that there are miscarriages of justice where the innocent get put through the wringer. It’s also true that we can look askance at the moral integrity of the justice system. But I am not sure that there is a more cautious way to proceed that doesn’t expose victims to substantial risk, and that can adequately bring additional past offenses to light while preventing future ones. Things I learned from a ringside seat at the priest scandals have shaped my views. Sexual offenders, who are often sociopathic, are extremely plausible. It is extremely difficult for ordinarily nice people to see beyond the mask. Parents who have acted unwisely in allowing access to their children can fend off guilt by retreating...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Blog & Mablog
Wake Up To Breaking News!