Into the Breach Makes Defeat Feel Deeply Satisfying

WIRED | 3/13/2018 | Julie Muncy
vegdancer18 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.wired.com/photos/5aa80677768d7859929e72ee/191:100/pass/ITB_large-FINAL.jpg

There are just three giant robots standing between a posse of massive bugs and the end of the world. At my command, my flagship mech, a brawler, zooms forward, punching one of the massive creatures in its ugly face, sending it careening into the sea. Then more bugs show up, and before I can figure out a clever tactical response I'm swamped with monsters, surrounded by dead civilians and burning forests. It's time to pull the plug.

Or the breach, I guess. Into the Breach, developed by the team behind the well-loved spaceflight-desperation simulator FTL, is a game about going back in time to correct your mistakes. Your mechs, or the pilots that control them, have a secret weapon: time travel. Each defeat in the game is met with a retreat back to the beginning of the cataclysm, just before everything started going downhill.

Cataclysm - Bugs - Mankind - Strongholds - Series

It's not clear what that cataclysm is, or where exactly the bugs come from. But they're advancing on mankind's last strongholds, a series of isolated islands, and it's up to your time-travelling brigade to stop them. The miracle of time travel means you have as many opportunities to stop them as you want, though each failure comes with costs: dead pilots, ruined machines, and an entire abandoned timeline of apocalyptic destruction.

Mechanically, this conflict expresses itself as something like a cross between Pacific Rim and a heated game of chess. Each island is a grid of installations to protect, with your pawns and your enemy's trading assaults and taking spaces to reach your goals. It also channels a very particular genre...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIRED
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Speaking only as an infidel......
Tagged: