‘Love, Simon’ Stars Say Gay Teen Romance Will Save Lives

Variety | 3/9/2018 | Brent Lang
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/love-simon.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

“Love, Simon” is a film of important milestones. Namely, it’s the first mainstream studio romantic comedy told from the perspective of a gay teen. But perhaps the most extraordinary thing about the Fox release is that it’s so ordinary. It’s a classic high school tale — one that minted millions for John Hughes — set in the kind of anywhere suburbia that most viewers will instantly recognize. It’s a fluffier kind of polemic.

Still, the historic nature of “Love, Simon” was front of mind at a tastemaker screening at New York City’s Landmark at 57 West on Thursday night.

Moviegoers - Stories - Nick - Robinson - Title

“Moviegoers want to see their stories represented onscreen,” said Nick Robinson, who plays the title character, a well-liked teenager who is hiding the fact that he’s gay. “Hopefully, this is not the last. Hopefully, this is the first of many films that show a broader section of life.”

Katherine Langford, who plays one of Simon’s friends, said her only regret is that it’s taken until 2018 for a film like “Love, Simon” to hit screens.

Film - Lot - Friends - Lot

“Growing up, I think this film would have meant a lot to my friends and a lot to me,” she said. “The...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!