Elephant trophy decision faces pushback from some Trump allies

TheHill | 3/8/2018 | Miranda Green
baileyboo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://thehill.com/sites/default/files/elephants.jpg

The Trump administration’s decision to reverse course on an Obama-era ban on African elephant trophy imports is facing pushback from some allies of President Trump.

While hunting advocacy groups and members of Congress who back them are cheering the decision from the Department of Interior's Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) to allow imports on a case-by-case basis, others are knocking the move.

Media - Hosts - Trump - November - Pause

Two conservative media hosts who pushed Trump in November to put a pause on a decision to overturn an established trophy import ban are among those urging him to hold up the Obama-era order.

Fox News host Laura Ingraham tweeted a plea to Trump on Wednesday asking him to change the new policy and warning him what could happen to supporters if he did not.

Please - @ - RealDonaldTrump - Stick - Instinct

“Please @realDonaldTrump, stick with your good instinct on this. We do NOT want to reward animal poaching. You will alienate independents & conservationists! #RespectAllofGodsEarth,” she tweeted.

Ingraham previously tweeted at Trump in November saying, “I don't understand how this move by @realDonaldTrump Admin will not INCREASE the gruesome poaching of elephants. Stay tuned.”

Day - Backlash - Move - Trump - Hold

The next day, facing widespread backlash over the move, Trump tweeted saying he was putting a hold on the decision.

Conservative radio host Michael Savage has also spoken out against the FWS policy this week, writing in a blog post Wednesday that he “felt betrayed” by the administration’s secret decision after having previously spoken in person with Trump on the issue.

Dinner - President - Issues - Savage

“I had spent a dinner talking to the President about environmental issues, and especially this, and this is what happened anyway,” Savage wrote.

“I made it clear that this was a red line that could not be crossed, that now elephants, lions and other big game had a target painted on them. I explained that the root of ‘conservative’ is the same as ‘conservation’ and the two do...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TheHill
Wake Up To Breaking News!