When I Am Afraid

Desiring God | 3/9/2018 | Marshall Segal
Celtics2212 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/when-i-am-afraid-tptqg1dj-en/landscape/when-i-am-afraid-tptqg1dj-44bb6a8f32bdf4e1638ff678adb8eb89.jpg?ts=1520355924&ixlib=rails-2.1.4&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

What fears creep into your heart most often?

Are you worried you might never get married? Or if you’re married, that your marriage may never get better? Are you afraid of failing at work or losing your job? Do you have fears about your health, what illness you might have or how you might die? Do you worry regularly about your children — their health, their relationships, their faith? When are you afraid?

Satan - Insecurity - Anxiety - Distress - Gasoline

What you fear most may be exactly where Satan is targeting you most. He preys on insecurity, anxiety, and distress. He pours the gasoline of lies on our fears — trying to persuade us that God is powerless, indifferent, or distant. Even King David, a man after God’s own heart, asks, “How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?” (Psalms 13:1).

God is not powerless; his power is immeasurably great (Ephesians 1:19). God is not indifferent toward you; he cares for you as a Father for his child (1 Peter 5:7). And God is not distant; he is “near to all who call on him” (Psalm 145:18). But he can feel far away when we are afraid.

God - Trials - Earshot - Word

Sometimes God feels far from us in trials because we have put ourselves out of earshot from his word.

David wrote Psalm 56 when he was seized by the Philistines while running from Saul’s army. David thought he might find refuge there if the Philistines had forgotten who he was, but some servants of the king soon said, “Is not this David the king of the land? Did they not sing to one another of him in dances, ‘Saul has struck down his thousands, and David his ten thousands’?” (1 Samuel 21:11). So they seized him.

He lived each day wondering not just if he might...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!