‘A Wrinkle in Time’ Writer Jennifer Lee on Adapting a Beloved Classic Novel [Interview]

/Film | 3/7/2018 | Ben Pearson
iVchan (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/Jennifer-Lee-interview.jpg

Madeleine L’Engle’s 1962 sci-fi novel A Wrinkle in Time has been a staple for young readers for decades. A made-for-TV adaptation was released in 2003, and when L’Engle was asked if it met her expectations, she responded, “Yes, I expected it to be bad, and it is.” (Harsh!) The author died in 2007, so it’s a shame she wasn’t able to see Ava DuVernay’s new movie, a thematically honest and largely accurate adaptation that cost over $100 million.

One of the women responsible for bringing the story to the big screen is writer Jennifer Lee (Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen). I had the chance to sit down with Lee at the film’s junket last week and chat about working with DuVernay, the ways she diverted from the original novel, and the unexpected timeliness of this story in the wake of a recent national tragedy.

Ava - Relationship

Tell me about working with Ava. What was your relationship like with her?

It was an extraordinary experience. She’s a writer, so there are so many things she understood, and we can have a shorthand, a different level to the conversation. She was the dream person to come on, and I really thought this was me handing the movie over. I thought she was going to do the rewrites. I was ready to do that, because I was like, ‘To her? Yes.’ Because I was such a fan of her work. But she, wonderfully – and I’m sure everyone is saying this about her – she was like, ‘You’re not going anywhere.’ She was so collaborative, and we walked through the script and went through all the things that she loved and she’s kept them. And then the things where she wanted to try new things, and I was like, ‘Absolutely.’ I would do rewrites in different stages. When the actors...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!