Revised Common Lectionary: Sin Sick Souls

RevGalBlogPals | 3/6/2018 | Staff
hoppers911 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12654650_10100157783886664_3104040411553079230_n.jpg?oh=8326d900a75b088cba979f1690ed3bf7&oe=5B085285

Looking at the RCL this week, I’m fairly struck by the theme of sin and sickness, and how tied they are in the Biblical text.

You have the Hebrews grumbling in Numbers 21, if there is anything the Exodus teaches you it is our impulse for whining when things are difficult, and the people are bitten by poisonous snakes. What are the things we are grumbling about that are going to turn back to us in the forms of poisonous snakes? I have no doubt that every individual congregation, as well as every denomination has these issues that need to be addressed in a way to stop the cycle of poison.

Psalm - Petition - Lord - Sickness - Affliction

Psalm 107 opens up a petition to the Lord to be made free of the sickness and affliction of sin. I find this interested as so often we Christians use the language of purity to discuss the Bible. However, I am having many deep thoughts about illness being about when your cells and microbes are not behaving as they should. Cancer, for example, is often an overzealous clump of cells trying to grow where they are not supposed to grow. If I think of sin as the malfunction, as opposed to being only about purity. It broadens the scope, for me, of how it is sin comes into our lives, and how Jesus comes as a doctor to fix us. Because, we all know that no matter how much we wash and try to avoid germs, sometimes we still get sick. Its comforting to me to realize that all of my efforts to avoid and wash away sin do matter and help, but to also acknowledge that I will sometimes sin.

Its also telling for me to think on how Jesus healed people. So often Jesus’ statements were simple redirections, putting us...
(Excerpt) Read more at: RevGalBlogPals
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!
Tagged: