Unbearable HBO Show: Republicans Tell People 'What to Do With Religion'

NewsBusters | 3/4/2018 | Staff
marked (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/here_and_now_-_hide_and_seek_-_09_41_39_pm.jpg

Sunday night means spending another hour with the most unbearable show on television - HBO's Here and Now, a show about a Portland (of course) academic, his wife (who runs an empathy training initiative for high schoolers), and their kids, one biological, the others adopted from countries that they believed had been wronged by America in some way. No, really. The Bayer-Boatwright family is that cliche.

In the March 4 episode "Hide and Seek," we get to know the Shokrani family a little better, as well as their thoughts on their Islamic religion, which ranges from not liking Muslims to calling strict Muslims "Republican."

Dr - Farid - Shokrani - Peter - Macdissi

We know Dr. Farid Shokrani (Peter Macdissi) as Ramon Bayer-Boatwright's (Daniel Zovatto) therapist. We did know he wasn't religious, but didn't really know why. In this episode, he has dinner with his religious wife Layla (Necar Zadegan) and her Imam, Chuck (Michael Weaver). Layla is a lawyer with the ACLU working with refugees, in case you thought there was anyone on this show who was not a liberal cartoon. But Farid has a surprising view of Muslims.

Farid: But I won't be coming to your mosque. I have a problem with Muslims.

Chuck - Problem - Plenty - Room - Islam

Chuck: We all have a problem with each other, but there's plenty of room in Islam for that. But let's be tolerant and generous. Let's... let's talk about everything. Hmm.

Farid: Muslims like to think they're special.

Chuck - Part - Charm

Chuck: We are. That's part of our charm.

Layla: Doesn't everyone?

Farid - Muslims - Outsiders - Responsibility - Acts

Farid: Muslims like to self-victimize. We love to blame outsiders, but... we never take any responsibility for our own immoral acts.

Chuck: Islam is a mercy. If you see its opposite, cruelty, then you know that is not Islam.

Farid - Terrorists - ISIS - Sharia - Law

Farid: I'm not talking about terrorists, and-- and ISIS. I'm talking about Sharia law, honor killings. Acid in women's faces....
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!