Selfies Distort Your Face by 30% — And Here's the Math to Back It Up

Live Science | 3/1/2018 | Staff
kimberly163 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://img.purch.com/h/1000/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5OC81ODkvb3JpZ2luYWwvc2VsZmllLWRpc3RvcnRpb24uanBn?&imgtype=.jpg

If humans were meant to take attractive selfies, they would be born with 5-foot-long arms.

According to a research letter published today (March 1) in the journal JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery, 5 feet (1.5 meters) is the optimal distance for taking portraits that don't distort your facial features. Selfies taken just 12 inches (30 centimeters) away from the face, meanwhile, often result in a forced "funhouse mirror" perspective that can make your nose look up to 30 percent wider than it is, Dr. Boris Paskhover, study co-author and facial plastic surgeon, told Live Science.

Years - Patients - Family - Members - Look

"For years, I've heard patients and family members say, 'Oh, look at my nose, it looks so big,' when they show me a selfie," Paskhover said."I was always telling my patients, that's not how you really look. I knew that selfies distort how your nose looks. And I wanted to prove it."

In this week's strange news, a mysterious blob drifts by Hawaii, a surprising theft of an ancient object and an investigation into the Gate of ****.

Models - Researchers - Distortion - Features - Camera

Using these geometric models, the researchers were then able to calculate the relative distortion of various facial features as seen by a camera placed...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Live Science
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: