I left my phone at home for a weekend — and it's something everyone should try

Business Insider | 3/1/2018 | Holly Smith, INSIDER
iVchan (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5a96eb0c7708e93a5d138624-750-375.jpg

I had FOMO, and temporarily felt a little lost and left out.

It wasn't nearly as inconvenient as I had imagined it'd be.

Kind - Phone - Weekend

Ultimately, it was kind of nice to not have my phone for the weekend.

I usually don't go anywhere without my phone — not even to the bathroom in my own apartment. Smartphones can do absolutely everything from helping us navigate place to place and allowing us to transfer money, to providing us with a million different ways to keep in touch with our friends and family. We're so reliant on our phones that it can be hard to imagine going even an hour without them.

Heard - Media - Cleanses - Media - Cleanse

We've all heard of social media cleanses, and maybe you've even done one yourself. I've wondered what it'd be like to do a social media cleanse or even leave my phone at home for a weekend. Would I be able to survive?

For this experiment, that's exactly what I did. I left my phone off and at home for a weekend.

Here's what happened and what I learned:

I had FOMO — fear of missing out — but I didn't really miss anything.

Someone - Something - Call - Mom - Party

I kept thinking, what if someone texts me to do something? What if I miss a call (or 10) from my mom? What if I get invited to the best party ever, but I don't have my phone, and I don't see the invites in time and everyone thinks I'm ignoring them?

Upon turning my phone back on late Sunday night, I had a few missed calls and Snapchats, and only six text messages that I had missed … all weekend. I discovered that the people I tend to talk to the most I'm usually with on the weekends already, so there wasn't much to miss. I had FOMO, but I didn't really miss much at all.

(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!