I drove a $70,000 Chevy Tahoe RST on a family road trip to put it to the test —here's how it held up

Business Insider | 2/23/2018 | Matthew DeBord
ridge-khridge-kh (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5a903814aae605f4018b45df-750-375.jpg

The Chevy Tahoe is a large-and-in-charge American SUV that's a great way to haul around a large family.

Our tester was a $70,000-plus special edition, but the base Tahoe is $47,500.

Fuel - Economy - Comfort - Power

Fuel economy is a negative, comfort and power are not.

I have three kids and a dog, which makes me the patriarch of a bigger-than-average American family.

Theory - Everybody - Car - SUV - Practice

In theory, we can cram everybody in a five-passenger car or SUV. But in practice, doing something that foolish would unleash combat.

So when we take a road trip of any length, I generally look to secure a seven-passenger vehicle. Ideally a large seven-passenger vehicle.

Jaunt - Wife - Kids - North - Fork

Our lastest jaunt took myself, my lovely wife, and all three kids to the North Fork of Long Island — about a three-hour drive from our home base. Marco the dog didn't join us this time around, as he did on our last family sojourn in a Tesla Model X SUV.

Our chariot was a Chevy Tahoe RST — a special, higher-performance version of Chevy's full-size SUV (and the brand's second-biggest ride, behind the Suburban). It tipped the cost scales at over $70,000. And it was pretty much perfect, even when you take into account the fuel-economy, which is unlikely to average better than 20 mpg unless you spend 100% of your driving days on the highway.

Seventy - Lot - Family - Transportation - Platform

Seventy grand is a lot to spend for a family transportation platform, but with the Tahoe RST you're paying for a 420-horsepower, 6.2-liter V8 and some additional performance goodies, such as beefier brakes and aftermarket-type exhaust, to go along with the 6,600-pound towing capacity (8,600 if you set the SUV up specifically to haul stuff) and the general feeling a driving around in an old-school road-ruler.

Compare with a perfectly capable minivan, which can also swallow up a family of five. The Tahoe is simply larger, more powerful, more...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Millions in tribute, but not a penny left for charity.