The best book about Millennials and the church

Religion News Service | 2/19/2018 | Jana Riess
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/The-New-Copernicans-cover-art.png

In writing book reviews I almost always avoid superlatives like you see in the title above: how can I know that something is the “best” in its category unless I’ve read every single book in that category?

But in this case I actually have exhausted the literature, because in researching and writing The Next Mormons, I’ve read everything I can get my hands on about Millennials and the changing profile of Christianity in America.

Number - Books - New - Copernicans - Cut

A number of those books are excellent and helpful, but The New Copernicans is a cut above: it’s quite simply the best book available for a general audience about Millennials and the Christian church, with one major caveat I’ll get to at the end.

I don’t know anything about author David John Seel except what’s on the back cover: he is a “cultural-renewal entrepreneur” (so that’s a thing now?) and “social-impact consultant” (also a thing?). He’s an evangelical Christian whose grown kids are Millennials. Having them out of the house clearly gives him ample time to read, because the book is a wonderful rabbit trail of references to other books and authors whose thinking he has absorbed.

Seel - Book - Alert - Sailor - Entrepreneur

Seel says this book is a “pan-pan alert.” If you’re not a sailor (which he’s not, unless that’s what a cultural-renewal entrepreneur actually is?), that’s a midlevel warning issued at sea.

It’s not mayday yet for evangelical Protestants in America, but it’s time to issue a pan-pan. The current course is going to result in disaster, but there’s still time for a course correction. The book’s basic message is that the iceberg is right ahead, Christians. Lots of young people are abandoning ship. So you’d better move your ****.

Books - Millennials - Resort - Style - Pastor

Too many books about Millennials resort to gimmicks: Here’s how to style your pastor’s hair so it will be cool enough to lure These Kids Today...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Conservatives are to the GOP what oil is to water, and the GOPe spend most of their time skimming it off or setting it on fire.