Hollow Soul Bullets

Blog & Mablog | 2/19/2018 | Douglas Wilson
sally140353 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dougwils.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Flag-Gun.jpg

The aftermath of the most recent school shooting in Florida is playing out very much like the aftermath of many of the previous school shootings. Some urge us to a period of respectful silence, saying that debating gun control issues is not fitting while the grief is still a hot ache. Others say that if we don’t debate it when the issue is staring us in the face, when will we debate it? But whether debating an issue like that in the aftermath of a tragedy is largely beside the point—because we are not really debating, unless you call yelling debating.

So my point here is not really to enter into a debate, or do any yelling myself, but rather simply to register some foundational concerns that would have to be addressed if there ever were to be a debate. I doubt that there will be, because a precondition of a true public debate (conducted with civility and respect) would be massive cultural repentance—and if we really had massive cultural repentance, it would address things like the school shootings themselves, and not just the debates over school shootings. If God restores us, He will restore the disintegrating culture—He will not give us the dubious gift of being able to debate a disintegrating culture like gentlemen.

Preparation - Day - Outline - Thoughts - Response

So in preparation for that day, here would be an outline of thoughts, suggesting what I believe to be a truly biblical response.

We should distinguish tactical solutions from strategic solutions. What you would want if you were in the midst of such an event is very different from what you might want from the other side of the country a week after such an event. If you are in the middle of it, what you would want is a gun of your own. If you are contemplating...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Blog & Mablog
Wake Up To Breaking News!