Putting Prayer on Repeat with Odesza’s A Moment Apart

Think Christian | 2/15/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://thinkchristian-webassets.imgix.net/articleImages/2018/odesza-moment-2.jpg?crop=focalpoint&fit=crop&fp-x=0.5&fp-y=0.5&h=500&ixlib=php-1.1.0&q=80&w=800&s=fa1b66504b3a313dfdb7286f483e8ed1

The persistent beat of A Moment Apart evokes a prayer life that doesn't stop.

Odesza’s A Moment Apart opens in the midst of a spoken-word narrative, in which a woman describes a Russian cosmonaut who hears a knocking sound while in orbit. He comes to the realization that he is all alone with the sound, just him and the mysterious, irritating noise. Instead of giving in to frustration, he receives an invitation. Peace comes, the narrator hints, when he decides to “fall in love with that sound.”

Harrison - Mills - Clayton - Knight - Duo

Harrison Mills and Clayton Knight, the duo behind Odesza, knew what they were doing beginning their Grammy-nominated album this way, because that is exactly how I feel while listening to it. Not that the music is bothersome; far from it. Yet it does creep into one’s consciousness, so that even when you’re not listening to it, you’re still hearing the haunting beats and considering the profound lyrics.

I was first transfixed by the band when I watched them perform “Higher Ground,” featuring Naomi Wild, on KEXP. “I wish church was like this,” I said to my husband, who had introduced me to Odesza, his favorite “study music.” He shot me a puzzled look. “It’s transcendent,” I argued. “Something about this sound makes me want to listen to it more.”

Attention - Lyrics - Beat - Odesza - Sound

I usually pay more attention to lyrics than beat, but with Odesza that has been flipped. The sound is what haunts me long after I’ve turned off the record. In the midst of intense conversation, we "read between the lines." We attend to what isn't said as much as what is. A Moment Apart pulses with perpetual synth bass lines, teary strings, and frenetic drums. It’s a reminder that conveying human emotion takes so much more than just the written or spoken word.

Even when you’re not listening to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Think Christian
Wake Up To Breaking News!