‘Waco’: Taylor Kitsch on the Challenging Transformation to Become David Koresh

Collider | 2/14/2018 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/waco-taylor-kitsch-05.jpg

Waco, the six-part Paramount Network TV event, tells the story of David Koresh (brilliantly played by Taylor Kitsch), the Branch Davidians, and the 51-day stand-off that resulted in the deaths of nearly 80 men, women and children. Government recklessness, religious fanaticism, conspiracy theories and cover-ups all muddied the waters, when it came to understanding what really happened on Mount Carmel in Waco, Texas, between a small religious community, the ATF and the FBI. From creators John and Drew Dowdle, the series also stars Michael Shannon, John Leguizamo, Melissa Benoist, Paul Sparks, Julia Garner, Shea Whigham, Andrea Riseborough, Rory Culkin and Camryn Manheim, among others.

While at the TCA Press Tour presentation for the Paramount Network, Collider got the opportunity to sit down with actor Taylor Kitsch for this 1-on-1 interview about the experience of playing David Koresh, whether he ever doubted the decision to take on the role, how he needed the help of a therapist to leave the role behind, getting the scripture and sermons right, his view of Koresh, the challenging physical transformation that he went through, and the toughest day on set. He also talked about whether he’d do more television, what he looks for in a character, and working on his feature directorial debut.

Collider - How - Experience - Waco - Living

Collider: How was the experience of making Waco in living in the shoes of David Koresh?

TAYLOR KITSCH: I loved doing it. I loved exploring these relationships, with one wife to another, and hearing how good it was going with [Michael] Shannon. It was an awesome experience.

Did - Moment - Hills - Role

Did you ever have a moment where you just wanted to run for the hills, as far as you could get from this role?

KITSCH: Before I hit camera, yeah. Three weeks out, I had a small panic attack. I was three months and a week into prep, so I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction