Ice Hockey: U.S. Women Down Russia On Strength Of Record-Quickest Goals

www.oann.com | 2/13/2018 | Staff
GANGNEUNG, South Korea (Reuters) – American Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson set an Olympic record for the fastest two goals scored by a single player, helping power the U.S. women’s ice hockey team to a 5-0 win over an outgunned Olympic Athletes from Russia team on Tuesday.

Lamoureux-Davidson tallied twice in the space of six seconds in the second period and injected a spark into a flat-footed American squad. That was two seconds faster than the previous record of eight set by Sweden’s Carl Goran Oberg in 1960 at Squaw Valley, California.

Home - Rebound - Shot - Twin - Sister

After tapping home a rebound on a shot from her twin sister and line mate Monique Lamoureux-Morando to put the U.S. up 2-0, she stole the puck on the ensuing faceoff and broke in alone on goal. Lamoureux-Davidson then fooled Russian goaltender Valeria Tarakanova by faking a wrist shot and pulling the puck to her backhand and lifting it home.

“I don’t think I’ve ever scored two quick ones like that before,” she said. “I’m just happy I can help contribute and contribute for the win and be a spark for the team.

“I don’t know if I’ll ever come close to that again, but we’ll see.”

“It’s great that she got it. I’m sure that there’s something that she wants a lot more than that,” said U.S. coach Robb Stauber, referring to the gold medal that has eluded the American women since 1998.

Americans - Night

Three other Americans scored on the night.

Gigi Marvin poked home a rebound less than three...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!