3D print your own wearable cosplay armor

3ders.org | 2/12/2018 | Staff
Tanya9 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.3ders.org/images2018/3d-printing-your-own-wearable-cosplay-armor-150.jpg

Gaming, fantasy, and sci-fi enthusiasts will already know that additive manufacturing is changing the cosplay game, as the technology enables people to create highly realistic cosplay props and costumes.

On the costume front, we’ve just come across a novel method for 3D printing flexible, wearable (and, dare I say, comfortable?) cosplay armor. Presented by maker David Shorey at a recent Hackaday meetup, the process consists of 3D printing plastic armor tiles onto a piece of netted fabric, such as tulle.

Result - Piece - Armor - Type - Armor

The result is a flexible, totally wearable piece of 3D printed armor that can be sewn, glued, or attached to create almost any type of armor or shielding.

Interestingly, the method isn’t that far off from a special technique used by Dutch fashion designer Iris van Herpen in her recent “Ludi Naturae” collection. To construct one of her 3D printed dresses, the innovative designer worked with researchers from TU Delft to 3D print synthetic resin structures (using a multi-material Polyjet 3D printer) onto a thin and sheer piece of tulle.

Shorey - Case - Layers - Armor - Pattern

In Shorey’s case, he 3D printed three layers of his tiled armor pattern (it is important that the individual pieces are slightly disconnected), paused the print, and then carefully secured a piece of tulle (a fine netted fabric) to his 3D printer’s build plate on top of the first...
(Excerpt) Read more at: 3ders.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I love to post, but I never read the article!
Tagged: