Oscar Nominee Luis Sequeira On Sewing Period Costumes Into ‘The Shape of Water’

The Playlist | 2/9/2018 | Gregory Ellwood
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Richard-Jenkins-Sally-Hawkins-the-shape-of-water.jpg

For Louis Sequeria, the opportunity to join Guillermo del Toro‘s creative team on “The Shape of Water” as costume designer has been life changing. Sequeria has spent most of his career working in television on series such as FX’s “The Strain” and CBC’s “Being Erica.” Along the way, he smartly found the time to work on high profile films such as “Mama” and the 2013 “Carrie” remake. With his first Academy Award nomination for “Shape” on his resume he’s made a jump that should find him under Oscar consideration for years to come.

Sequeria is currently back home in Toronto where he’s working on the “Christmas Chronicles” for Chris Columbus, but he took a few minutes to jump on the phone and talk about his work with del Toro and what’s next.

Gregory - Ellwood - Reaction - Oscar - Nomination

Gregory Ellwood: What was your reaction to the Oscar nomination a couple of weeks ago?

Louis Sequeria: I was working late on set the night before, so when I went to bed I said to my I’m going to just sleep in and I’ll wake up to the news. At 8:30, about 8:35, I kind of was groggy, and looked around, like, “Oh, maybe I should watch” and then all the sudden my phone started ringing. (Laughs.) I was blown away, super excited.

LA - Luncheon

You were in LA for the luncheon, correct?

I was, yeah, which was amazing.

Memory - Experience

What was the one memory you’ll keep the most from that experience?

Of course, you hear about when someone calls your name and you do that walk and everyone at the luncheon obviously is a winner. People talk about how you kind of float your way to the front and I remember exactly that. I don’t remember how I got there, but I floated to the front. I think after we took our photos and they said, “Now...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!