Man Carries His Wife's Urn During Eagles Parade: 'I Had to Make Sure She Was Here For This'

PEOPLE.com | 2/9/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/eagles-fan-urn.jpg?crop=0px,188px,1161px,609px&resize=1200,630

Four days after winning the Super Bowl, the Philadelphia Eagles took to the streets of the City of Brotherly Love to celebrate their victory with millions of fans on Thursday morning. Among the many parade-goers was one fan who quietly paid respects to his sweetheart by carrying her ashes through the crowd.

While he was looking for a spot near City Hall to watch Nick Foles and the team celebrate their dramatic win over the New England Patriots at Super Bowl LII, Eagles fan Dustin Javier noticed a man in a hoodie carrying an urn through the flocks of Philly devotees lining the streets. The man, who Javier learned was named Dennis, said the urn held the ashes of his late wife, Becky, who followed her hometown Eagles and would’ve loved to see them finally bring home the Lombardi Trophy.

Eagles - Fan - Dennis - Facebook - Post

“She was a diehard Eagles fan,” Dennis said, according to a viral Facebook post. “I had to make sure she was here for this.”

Soon after Dennis shared his wife’s story with Javier, a touching moment unfolded in front of them—Javier says a police officer walked up to Dennis and handed him a beer, then pointed to a group of about a dozen men across the street. The officer said the drink was from them.

Officer - Fans - Broad - Street - Beers

“The officer then let him know that it was from the fans across Broad Street when they raised their beers when he looked over. Dennis was pretty happy about it,” Javier, 41, tells PEOPLE. “He was standing a little in front of me, so I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: