Bid to find a Valentine for Romeo, world's 'loneliest frog'

phys.org | 2/9/2018 | Staff
erinmmarion (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/2018/lookingforlo.jpg

With Valentine's Day approaching, please spare a thought for Romeo the lonesome Bolivian frog.

Ten years a bachelor, the childless amphibian has had to enlist human help to mount a last-ditch search for a Juliet which, if it fails, could mean the end of his species.

Romeo - Frog - Kind

Romeo, you see, is the last known frog of his kind.

And he has been fruitlessly calling for a mate from his tank at the Cochabamba Natural History Museum for years.

Hope - Arturo - Munoz - Conservation - Scientist

"We don't want him to lose hope," said Arturo Munoz, a conservation scientist associated with the Global Wildlife Conservation, which has hooked up with dating website Match to raise money for Romeo's last shot at romance.

The funds will be used to scour Bolivian streams and rivers for signs of a female Sehuencas water frog, even in tadpole form.

Others - Conservation - Breeding - Programme - Species

"We continue to remain hopeful that others are out there so we can establish a conservation breeding programme to save this species," said Munoz.

If Romeo croaks, he could follow the route of "Lonesome George", a childless Galapagos tortoise who died in 2012, taking his entire subspecies with him.

Water - Frogs - Years

Sehuencas water frogs live for about 15 years.

As part of the campaign to raise $15,000 (12,200 euros) by Valentine's Day, the team has created a Match profile for Romeo.

Video - Variety - Moves

He is introduced by a video in which he shows off a variety of swimming moves.

"Hi there. I'm Romeo, a Sehuencas water frog from Bolivia," says a sexy, Spanish-accented voice.

Guy - Spending - Nights - Home

"I'm a pretty simple guy. I tend to keep to myself and love spending nights at home. I also love eating. then again, who doesn't?"

His mobile phone profile, also shown in the video, sports a big-eyed, pouting cartoon frog posing in a seductive manner, with the words: "Looking for my Juliet."

Romeo - Relationship - Status

Romeo's relationship status is listed...
(Excerpt) Read more at: phys.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into"--Jonathan Swift