On Rob Porter, Mormonism, and siding with the abuser

Religion News Service | 2/9/2018 | Jana Riess
reantes (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/webRNS-Rob-Porter3-020818.jpg

I’m angry, but I’m trying to understand.

On Wednesday, White House aide Rob Porter resigned from his job as staff secretary because a story broke that his two ex-wives had both accused him of abuse. Despite that, this administration kept him in power.

FBI - Investigation - Porter - Security - Clearance

Apparently, after the FBI’s investigation early in 2017, it did not grant Porter a full security clearance, and he’s been operating all this time on an interim clearance.

Which means that at least somebody in the FBI, somewhere along the line, actually believed the women, which is more than I can say for the White House.

Women - Bishops

Or, unfortunately, for these women’s bishops.

Most painful of all was the fact that both women seem to have gone to their LDS bishops about the abuse when it was happening, and both had their abuse minimized or dismissed. One article describes the experiences of Colby Holderness, the first wife:

Summer - Agency - Access - Counselor - Job

One summer, when she was interning at a federal agency, she had access to a counselor through her job. “When I explained to him what was happening, he had a very different reaction from the Mormon bishops,” she said. “It was weirdly validating to hear that from somebody else.” Speaking about the counselor, she said, “He was very concerned to hear Rob was choking me.”

That last statement seems to suggest that her Mormon bishop also heard at some point that Holderness was being choked by her husband, and the bishop was not concerned about it.

Moment - Porter - Wife

Let’s pause on that for a moment: Not concerned that Porter was choking. His. Wife.

The second wife, Jennifer Willoughby, gave a long and interesting interview Thursday evening on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360. Here is the relevant portion about Mormonism:

Cooper - Things - Bishop - Sort

Cooper: . . . One of the things the bishop had sort of suggested to you or mentioned to you is, “Do you want to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!