Bart Ehrman’s latest: How Christianity took over the Western world

Religion News Service | 2/9/2018 | Yonat Shimron
bab_ohhbab_ohh (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/webRNS-Ehrman-Triumph2-020918.jpg

DURHAM, N.C. (RNS) — New Testament scholar Bart Ehrman became a superstar on the heels of his popular trade books debunking long-held assumptions about Christian Scriptures.

With titles like “How Jesus Became God,” “Forged” and “Misquoting Jesus,” he gained a devoted following of fellow agnostics, atheists and ex-Christians.

Research - Centuries - Jesus - Crucifixion - Year

Most of the research into the first few centuries after Jesus’ crucifixion around the year 33, he concedes, is not new. Scholars have been grappling with how Christianity exploded on the scene for a long time. Ehrman’s goal is to bring that issue to the masses in plain English, marshaling the evidence — most of it written in Greek and Latin — and crunching the numbers.

RNS caught up with Ehrman before he left for Washington, D.C., to give four lectures as part of a sold-out Smithsonian Associates program on Saturday. He will also give a reading at Politics and Prose on Sunday.

Interview - Length - Clarity

The following interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Why did you focus on this particular era of Christian history?

Thing - Revolution - Christianity - Institution - World

The thing that struck me was how significant this Christian revolution was. Christianity became the most powerful institution in the Western world. My question in the book is: How did that happen?

How do you get from 20 insignificant, illiterate, lower-class day laborers in a remote part of the empire to 30 million people and end up being the most influential power in the West? I’ve always thought it was a very important question and the book tries to answer it.

Conversion - Roman - Emperor - Constantine - Christianity

You conclude that the conversion of Roman Emperor Constantine to Christianity in the year 312 was not the signal event that led to Christianity’s rise. Explain.

What I came to realize is that it probably would have happened whether or not Constantine converted. If you actually plot the growth of Christianity, you realize that it’s an...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." - Alexander Hamilton