How the Lord’s Prayer led this North Korean defector to freedom

Catholic News Agency | 2/9/2018 | Staff
SweetStuff33 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Ji_Seong_ho_holds_his_crutches_at_the_2018_State_of_the_Union_address_Public_Domain_CNA.jpg

Washington D.C., Feb 9, 2018 / 10:05 am (CNA/EWTN News).- “Before his escape, when Seong-Ho was being tortured by North Korean officials, there was one thing that kept him from losing hope: over and over again he recited the Lord’s Prayer,” President Donald Trump said in his speech at the 2018 National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, D.C. on Thursday.

Seong-Ho's courage and faith were also highlighted by Trump during his State of the Union address in January.

Defectors - Ji - Seong-ho - Encounter - Christianity

Many North Korean defectors like Ji Seong-ho encounter Christianity through the missionaries who organize the underground railroad that makes it possible for them to escape to China, where they still face the constant risk of being repatriated back to North Korea.

The journey with the Christian missionaries often leads to conversion for defectors. Eighty to ninety percent of North Koreans who pass through the underground railroad identify as Christian after reaching South Korea, according to a 2015 study by Dr. Jin-Heon Jung entitled “Underground Railroads of Christian Conversion.”

Catholic - Church - Seoul - Defectors - Day

One Catholic Church in Seoul baptized 60 North Korean defectors in one day in June 2016, after Father Raymond Lee Jong-nam catechized and assisted them with the transition to life in South Korea, according to UCA News.

“I thank Father Lee for showing us deep love like our father and I will live this new life to the full in this church," one newly baptised North Korean told the Union of Catholic Asian News.

Ji - Seong-ho - Story - Attention - Crutches

Ji Seong-ho, whose story gained national attention when he triumphantly raised up his crutches during the president’s State of the Union address last week, told EWTN that prayer sustained him during his escape.

“I offered so many prayers to my God...I started to pray save me, rescue me,” he said.

Ji - North - Korea - Tumen - River

Ji escaped North Korea in 2006 by crossing the Tumen River into China, and then journeying 6,214 miles across...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: