Friday Five: Olympic miracle, homeless Super Bowl player, faith of TV dad, cheating mayor and more

GetReligion | 2/9/2018 | Bobby Ross Jr.
ArceusArceus (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52c2df7ae4b0d215dded86fd/536fab69e4b00b0fd2515399/5a7d60a9e2c4835168f7c884/1518199256271/1980-usa-hockey-victory01.jpg?format=1000w

"Do you believe in miracles? Yes!"

With the Winter Olympics starting in Pyeongchang, South Korea, what better time to recall one of the greatest calls in sports history?

GetReligion - Readers - Al - Michaels - Description

How many GetReligion readers are old enough to remember Al Michaels' excited description of the U.S. hockey team's 4-3 victory over the heavily favored Soviet Union in the 1980 games in Lake Placid, N.Y.?

Later, Kurt Russell starred in the 2004 movie "Miracle," which tells the true story of the Americans' improbable gold medal performance and makes some lists of all-time best sports films.

Reminiscing - Friday - Five

But enough reminiscing. Let's get to the "Friday Five":

1. Religion story of the week: Some weeks, this is a difficult choice. Not this week.

Post - Week - Stories - Story - Search

As I described it in a post this week, "There are must-read stories, and then there's this incredible story on 'The search for Jackie Wallace.'"

The viral piece by retired Times-Picayune photojournalist Ted Jackson – now approaching 300,000 retweets – explores the downfall, redemption and disappearance of a New Orleans football legend.

Way - Jackson - Comment - Facebook - Page

By the way, Jackson left a comment on my Facebook page and offered hopeful news about the search for Wallace:

Bobby Ross, I don't think we've ever met, but it looks like we have lots of friends in common. I think you may also know my friend Eric Tooley. I've enjoyed your work for years. Thank you so much for your blog on GetReligion. It gave me goosebumps. I'm very gratified by the response Jackie's story has gotten and the good it seems to be doing. I'm convinced we're going to find him soon. A few tips are coming in and one seems very credible – but will take some time to pan out. Keep praying for this sweet soul. I'm afraid he's still in a bad place and struggling to get out.

GetReligion - Post

2. Most popular GetReligion post:...
(Excerpt) Read more at: GetReligion
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A pox on both their houses!