'Racism is so American:' NBC Cop Show Tackles Anthem Protests

NewsBusters | 2/8/2018 | Staff
madalina09madalina09 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/chicago_p.d._-_anthem_-_10_00_57_pm.jpg

The February 7 episode of NBC’s Chicago P.D. titled “Anthem” begins with the familiar scene of a student protest over the suspension of two college basketball players for kneeling during the National Anthem. What complicates the story is that the organizer of the Black Lives Matter protest is the child of a Chicago police officer.

Brianna Woods (Alexa Adderley), daughter of Lt. Denny Woods (Mykelti Williamson), is described by her father as an “idealist.” I would call her a social justice warrior. She is angry that her basketball player boyfriend, Jamal Tate (Bouton Fitzpatrick), and his friend, Chris Taylor, were suspended from playing on the team for kneeling during the National Anthem. She disputes that it's disrespecting the flag, saying, “Kneeling is actually a sign of respect.”

Student - Newspaper - Rally - Case - TV

She first pens an op-ed in the student newspaper and then organizes a rally. As is often the case on TV these days, neo-Nazis come to disrupt the rally and the police are prepared to take action, paying particularly close attention to white supremacist "David Dixon."

Brianna: As Americans, we don't just have the right to protest racism and injustice. We have the duty. But when Jamal Tate and Chris Taylor took a knee to protest police violence, they were suspended. They cannot suspend our freedom of speech and our freedom to protest.

Hailey - Denny - Woods - Daughter - Demonstration

Hailey: Denny Woods' daughter running an anti-police demonstration. I think that's the actual definition of irony.

Jay: Amazing.

Chris - Racism - Racism - People - America

Chris: Racism is so American that when we protest racism, some people think we protest America. But protesting injustice, that's what the flag stands for.

Jay: I got no respect for this kid. I got six friends who died for that flag. Any sign of David Dixon?

Antonio - Nothing

Antonio: Nothing yet.

Amos: I didn't come all this way to get herded like cattle.

Brian

Brian: Where you from?

Amos: Battle Creek.

Brian - David

Brian: You mean where David...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Does it ever seem that life has become one long rerun?