'I feel responsible': Mother-in-law, who Texas church shooter was targeting when he killed 26, reveals the guilt she feels that she missed the service that day and brought the 'devil to the door' of her congregation

Mail Online | 4/27/2011 | Keith Griffith For Dailymail.com;Associated Press
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/02/08/00/48FA033C00000578-0-image-a-4_1518049851135.jpg

The mother-in-law of the gunman who fatally shot more than two dozen worshipers at a Texas church has spoken out about her anguish at bringing the devil to the door of her congregation.

Michelle Shields learned of the massacre just minutes after shooter Devin Patrick Kelley stormed the First Baptist Church in Southerland Springs, Texas on November 5, she revealed in an interview published on Tuesday in the San Antonio Express-News.

Daughter - Danielle - Worry - Morning - Phone

Her daughter Danielle called her frantic with worry that morning, after getting a phone call from her husband Kelley, 26, as he lay dying from a hero Good Samaritan's bullets to tell her he had done 'something horrible' and didn't think he'd make it.

Now Shields has revealed the diabolical, controlling personality of her son-in-law in the months leading up to the shooting, and the signs she fears she missed.

'I - Lord - Shields - Interview - Voice

'I still feel responsible. I feel responsible for trying to reach out and try to bring him closer to the Lord,' Shields said in the interview, her voice shaking with grief. 'Because I feel like all I did was bring the devil closer to our church.'

Six months before the shooting, Kelley, who had a history of domestic violence, sent a series of enraged texts to his mother-in-law.

Life - Hospital - Daughter - Birth - Couple

He told her he would 'destroy your entire life' if she came to the hospital where her daughter was giving birth to the couple's second child.

'I suggest you don't test my resolve,' read one of several texts to Shields. In another, 'You think this is a (expletive) game? It's not.'

Shields - Kelley - Warning - Hospital - Daughter

Shields said she heeded Kelley's warning and stayed away from the hospital where her daughter Danielle was giving birth.

'I wasn't going to disobey. I didn't want to disrespect because I don't know where the anger would have gone from there,' Shields told the newspaper.

'If

'If...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!