One on One with Dino Senesi on Sending Well: A Field Guide to Great Church Planter Coaching

Click For Photo: http://www.christianitytoday.com/images/80783.png?w=630

I recently chatted with my friend Dino Senesi about church planting, coaching, and his new book. Dino is the coaching director of the North American Mission Board’s Send Network (SBC). He has led congregations and encouraged leaders for over 30 years.

Ed Stetzer: Share a little about your experience with church planting and church planter coaching.

Dino - Senesi - Journey - Church - New

Dino Senesi: My journey with church planting began in New Orleans in the late 1980s. The church I pastored at the time was in a more urban location and God gave us the opportunity to address the diversity through church planting. We walked beside ten new churches. I was not a church planting expert and do not consider myself one today, but we saw church planting as a way to aggressively reach people with the gospel.

So I began the church planting journey as a supporter, encourager, mentor, and friend to planters. That has remained my primary role over the past 30+ years through various ministry platforms. I have personally been a part of new churches and led a one-year-old church plant for a season—but that is the extent of my hands-on experience beyond support roles.

Coaching - Transition - Background - Bob - Logan

Coaching was a natural transition for me in 2002 because of my background. Bob Logan was my first coach. I have been engaged in being coached and coaching leaders since then.

Ed: In a couple sentences, how would you define a church planter coach?

Dino - Planters - Voices - Lives - Church

Dino: Planters have multiple valuable voices speaking into their lives. Church planter coaches provide a walk-beside relationship to planters, giving a unique voice of listening, caring, and encouraging. A coach provides an intentional, supportive relationship that gives a planter space to reflect, process, hear God, and be accountable to take action. Coaching helps planters pursue their unique kingdom assignment.

Ed: People hear many things when they hear the word “coach.” They...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Exchange | A Blog by Ed Stetzer
Wake Up To Breaking News!