‘Star Wars’: 96% of Its Film Universe Writers and Directors Are White Men

Variety | 2/6/2018 | Maureen Ryan
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/star-wars2.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

I love the “Star Wars” movies. I adored “The Last Jedi” and cried during almost all of Carrie Fisher’s scenes. I’m a fan of the other recent “Star Wars” films as well, and watching the first George Lucas space adventure back in 1977 — in a second-run theater with wooden floors — is one of the formative experiences of my childhood. I was transported into the stars, and in some ways, I never came back.

But loving something doesn’t mean you ignore its flaws. In fact, if you’re a critic, you’re not doing your job if you fail to comment on the patterns you see.

Star - Wars - Tapestry - Years - Films

The “Star Wars” tapestry is now 41 years old, with 17 theatrical films (released or planned) forming the backbone of the franchise. By my count, during those four decades, 24 people were hired to direct, write or otherwise take the creative lead on “Star Wars” feature films.

Twenty-three of those key creators were white men. The sole exception is Leigh Brackett, a white woman who had a screenplay credit on “The Empire Strikes Back,” which came out 38 years ago.

Men - Color - Women - Color - Women

Otherwise, no men of color, women of color or white women have held these positions. The franchise’s leading creative voices have been white men 96% of the time.

That’s shocking, and it has to change.

Blunt - General - Organa - Problems

Forgive me for being blunt, but General Organa taught me to face problems head on, not politely avoid them.

Has the “Star Wars” franchise made strides in the kinds of characters it showcases in its tentpole films? Absolutely. Is the whole enchilada run by a woman? Yes, I’m aware of that. But I’m not sure what’s stopping Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy from hiring any of the talented, hungry and skilled men and women of color and white women who have “Star Wars” stories to tell....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators may not be able to differentiate between you.