NUS president accused of bullying claims she is the victim of 'racism and classism' because she is a 'strong, outspoken, articulate black woman who likes piercings and tattoos'

Mail Online | 2/2/2018 | Amie Gordon For Mailonline
hubbog (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/02/01/15/48CB65F100000578-0-image-a-10_1517500596391.jpg

The president of the National Union of Students has allegedly been accused of bullying and intimidation.

Shakira Martin, who was elected to the post last year, has vehemently denied allegations she harassed and abused officers and staff members.

Ms - Martin - Victim - 'racism - Classism

Ms Martin hit back, claiming she a victim of 'racism and classism' and is being targeted ahead of forthcoming elections because she is 'a black, working-class single mother' with 'swagger' who 'likes piercings and tattoos'.

All union officers have been told to work from home this week while the complaints are investigated.

Ms - Martin - Lewisham - London - Role

Ms Martin, 29, from Lewisham in south London, was elected to the role in 2017 after gaining some 402 votes.

She previously acted as the union's vice president for education.

Allegations - Saturday - Ms - Martin - Media

The allegations against her were made last Saturday, after Ms Martin became embroiled in a heated social media exchange with Mark Crawford, the Student Union postgraduate officer for University College London.

In a tweet he called Ms Martin a 'scab' and told her to 'get over herself'.

Tweet - Ms - Martin - Facebook - Abuse

The tweet, which has since been deleted, was screenshotted by Ms Martin and posted to Facebook, where she likened it to domestic abuse.

She wrote: 'This is the name calling and abuse i have to put up with. I'm a scab now yeh...these people are as abusive as my ex was too me, emotionally trying to break me down at every level every single day.'

Exchange - NUS - Women - Officer - Hareem

Following the public exchange, NUS women's officer Hareem Ghani announced she plans to report Ms Martin for bullying.

Ms Ghani wrote on Twitter: 'I spent this morning debating whether to remain silent on such a horrendous (and frankly dangerous) comparison between political accountability and domestic violence.

Working - Office - Someone - Upsetting - Comparison

'Frankly, it's deeply dangerous and I feel uncomfortable working in the same office as someone who would make such a distasteful and frankly upsetting comparison.

'I'll be submitting a complaint...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!