Click For Photo: http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/525ff2bd69beddc530aaec3e-1190-625/a-young-boy-in-oregon-died-from-flesh-eating-bacteria-after-crashing-his-bike--heres-what-to-look-out-for.jpg
An 8-year-old boy in Oregon died from necrotizing fasciitis, also known as flesh-eating disease, after being infected with bacteria after a bicycle crash.
He had received stitches for the wound, but it wasn't until several days later that his parents noticed that his skin was discolored and he was in extreme pain.
CDC - Wound - Someone - Skin - Fever
The CDC says that after a wound, if someone has spreading discolored skin, fever, chills, or vomiting, they should immediately seek medical treatment.
An 8-year-old boy from Oregon named Liam Flanagan died on January 21 from a case of necrotizing fasciitis, also known as flesh-eating disease, that he'd contracted after a bicycling accident.
Story - Infections - Flanagan - Parents - Others
It's a devastating story that shows just how dangerous these rare infections can be, and Flanagan's parents have expressed that they hope others will learn the signs of infection to look out for.
"We don't want any other parents to go through this," Liam's stepfather, Scott Hinkle, told the East Oregonian.
Liam - Bike - January - Incident - Handlebar
Liam crashed his bike on January 13. The incident caused his handlebar to slice through his jeans and into his thigh. He received seven stitches in the emergency room before being sent home, according to a GoFundMe crowdfunding page set up by the family, first for medical costs and now also for a memorial.
Several days after his accident, when Flanagan was complaining of worsening pain, his parents looked at his thigh and noticed it was extremely discolored, purplish-red, and looked gangrenous. They sped to the emergency room, where doctors began an intense course of antibiotics and a series of at least four surgeries to try to remove infected tissue before it spread further.
Condition - Tissue - Skin - Muscle - Ligaments
The condition causes soft tissue such as skin, muscle, ligaments, blood vessels, and fat to die. The infection...
Wake Up To Breaking News!