Helping Your Congregation Break Out of Its Comfort Zone

ChurchLeaders | 1/23/2018 | Staff
InLove4567 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/1.24.CC.WORSHIP.BreakingOutComfort.jpg

Comfort zone? What do we as Christian leaders do with this phrase?

As a worship minister, this may be the phrase I wrestle with the most. We can take Moses’ example and be encouraged that God is in the business of stretching the comfort zones of His followers. Moses, as most of you know, did not consider himself a great speaker, but God called him to go and plead with Pharaoh to let the Israelites go.

Charge - Abram - Genesis - God - Country

We see a similar charge to Abram, when in Genesis 12 God tells him to leave his country and Father’s house to a land that he will show you. Even though it doesn’t say here, I’m sure Abram was hesitant at first. Leaving the land that he had known his whole life for a place that hadn’t even been given to him yet.

So, we know that challenging our congregation to step out of their comfort zones is important and biblical. But how do we do that? It seems every time I start to think on this topic so many more questions come up. What is the current comfort level at? How do we stretch without breaking people? How fast do we move? Am I stepping out of my comfort zone? How do we develop a method? Do we move with our church or as a separate entity?

Questions - Comfort - Zone - Ministry

All of these questions must be carefully weighed and thought out before deciding what stepping out of a comfort zone looks like for your ministry.

I have been on staff as a worship minister for almost three years now. While I have learned a lot, and have seen God move in ways I couldn’t ever imagine, things have not developed the way I initially thought they would. When I first came on staff we didn’t have a drummer. I remember telling...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!