Here's why your next wireless speaker will listen to your every word

CNET | 1/18/2018 | Ty Pendlebury
MonkeyBubble (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/BWaWkyUEY7jSrdytY0uYhVKN22c=/670x503/2017/10/17/7277c2b6-6936-4ea3-92f9-ba4cf6c39d8c/sonos-one-comparison-03.jpg

There will come a day, and probably pretty soon, where pretty much every standalone speaker will have a voice-operated assistant inside of it. In the same way way that most TVs today have integrated "smarts" in the form of streaming apps for video, "smart speakers" will simply be the default, offering streaming audio apps and music at your voice's beck and call.

At CES 2018 there were a raft of new models were announced with either Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa or a mixture of both. From the JBL Link View to the Polk Command Bar to Klipsch's The One, most audio brands had at least one speaker on display. And the list is only going to grow, and move far beyond traditional audio brands.

Speaker

Watch this: ​Sonos One is the best sounding smart speaker you can...

1:44

Audio - Reviewer - CNET - Quality - Music

As the audio reviewer at CNET, I am particularly focused on sound quality for music, so I'm psyched to see these speaker makers offer better-sounding alternatives to the Echo and Google Home speakers, let alone the terrible-for-music Echo Dot and Google Home Mini. My current favorite, the Sonos One, is a great example of the standalone smart speaker done right, and competition from other audio companies, or even sound-first smart speakers like the Google Home Max -- is definitely a good thing.

Even for people who crave good audio, the convenience of being able to ask for a song or artist by name is powerful. It's enough, for example, to force just about every speaker maker to follow Sonos' lead, and sign on with one of the two major digital assistants. But what does having Alexa and Google inside everything really mean?

Smart - TV - Reason - Voice - Assistants

Much like Smart TV, a big reason voice assistants will be so widespread is that they aren't prohibitively expensive to add. We spoke to one...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!