‘Sorry to butt in here, but I think you mean Yemen, not Lebanon': PM slaps down bungling Boris as the Foreign Secretary twice confuses countries in Cabinet meeting gaffe

Mail Online | 1/11/2018 | Simon Walters Political Editor For The Mail On Sunday
leeann77 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/01/14/01/481DF7D500000578-0-image-a-30_1515892535774.jpg

Bungling Boris Johnson was rebuked by Theresa May at last week’s Cabinet meeting after he repeatedly mixed up the Lebanon with war-torn Yemen.

The Foreign Secretary’s latest gaffe came during a discussion on the Yemen civil war, which has turned into a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Ministers - Slip - Tongue - Mistake

As fellow Ministers looked at each other, wondering whether it was a slip of the tongue, he repeated the mistake.

Mr Johnson looked down at his notes and apologised before carrying on with his analysis of the situation in Yemen, where Saudi Arabia intervened in the civil war in March 2015.

Riyadh - Regime - Yemen - President - Abd

The Riyadh regime supports Yemen’s disputed president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who is friendly to them, against the Houthi rebels, who say they have deposed him. The Saudi-led campaign, which is accompanied by a land, sea and air blockade, has so far led to more than 10,000 deaths and a humanitarian crisis.

Ministers were surprised that Mr Johnson could have confused Yemen with Lebanon, which is 1,400 miles away, and not involved in the conflict.

Yemen - Country - Crosshairs - Power - Struggle

Yemen, the poorest Arab country, has been caught in the crosshairs of the long-simmering proxy power struggle between Sunni-ruled Saudi and Shia-dominated Iran, with each nation trying to influence the internal politics of the country.

The three-year war has left up to one million of Yemen’s 28 million population facing starvation.

Year

Fighting has been deadlocked for more than a year....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!