Beauty tech lives at the intersection of self-care and self-loathing

CNET | 1/13/2018 | Ashlee Clark-Thompson
rubydrummer (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/t8jGl83BJ2XfGuv9pZSFuQWdmzI=/2018/01/11/cb2d52c1-1bfe-407e-bdf9-b829e9d75879/haier-mirror-4.jpg

I spent hours looking into smart mirrors at this year's CES. I didn't like everything I saw.

Devices with a focus on beauty made a large, pedicured footprint at this year's CES tech show in Las Vegas. They typically combined a Wi-Fi connection, built-in cameras, machine learning and a dash of augmented reality to analyze various aspects of your appearance -- and make recommendations about what products you need to look better.

TL - DR - Companies - Technology - ****

TL;DR: Companies want to use technology to judge the **** out of you, make you feel bad and sell you beauty products.

The HiMirror Mini judged the dark circles under my eyes and hurt my feelings.

Time - Way - Suite - Beauty - Salon

At least, that's how I felt by the time I made my way to a luxe suite that had been transformed into a pop-up beauty salon. A company called Henkel Beauty Care invited me to try its Schwarzkopf Professional SalonLab, a system in which a handheld, Bluetooth-connected device analyzes your strands. The device sends the info to an app that gives your hair an overall score and a moisture ranking. That app creates a custom shampoo for what it thinks you need, then sends that info to a machine that makes a sample of that shampoo on the spot.

Many devices had given their opinion of my appearance by the time I reached the Henkel suite. The HiMirror Mini, an internet-connected mirror with Amazon Alexa built in, told me I needed help with the dark circles under my eyes. The Neutrogena Skin360 Skin Scanner, an iPhone camera attachment that takes up-close pics of your pores, said my skin was too dry. Let's just say my self-esteem was at a low ebb.

Beauty - Products - Technology - CES - Lie

Beauty products, including the technology we saw at CES, lie at a weird intersection of self-care and self-loathing. It's what makes going to beauty stores like...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!