Facebook announces major change to its News Feed as Mark Zuckerberg explains users will see more content from friends and family as opposed to media and businesses

Mail Online | 1/12/2018 | Reuters
hi09 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/01/12/03/4807CD6000000578-0-image-a-89_1515728126454.jpg

Facebook is making major changes to its News Feed so that users can see more content that family and friends share instead of a high amount of content from pages or celebrities.

The company's Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg announced the changes in a sweeping Facebook post on Thursday, saying it was the first in a series of changes in the design of the world's largest social network.

Facebook - Way - Posts - Videos - Centerpiece

Facebook has already started changing the way it filters posts and videos on its centerpiece News Feed to prioritize content from friends and family of the user.

For example, a family video clip posted by a spouse will be deemed more worthy of attention than a snippet from a star or favorite restaurant.

Content - Posts - Businesses - Brands - Media

'As we roll this out, you'll see less public content like posts from businesses, brands, and media,' Zuckerberg said in a post at his Facebook page.

'And the public content you see more will be held to the same standard - it should encourage meaningful interactions between people.'

Company - Years - Material - Computer - Algorithms

The company has for years prioritized material that its complex computer algorithms think people will engage with through comments, 'likes' or other ways of showing interest.

Zuckerberg said that would no longer be the goal.

Goal - Product - Teams - Content - Interactions

'I'm changing the goal I give our product teams from focusing on helping you find relevant content to helping you have more meaningful social interactions,' Zuckerberg said.

The shift was likely to mean that the time people spend on Facebook and some measures of engagement would go down in the short term, but Zuckerberg said it would be better for users and for the business over the long term.

John - Hegeman - Facebook - Vice - President

John Hegeman, a Facebook vice president, said that advertising on the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
How's that peak oil working out for you?