Waves of Blue Planet II fans help BBC top the ratings: Broadcaster dominates 2017 listings with 19 of the top 20 most watched shows

Mail Online | 1/11/2018 | Laura Lambert Tv And Radio Reporter For The Daily Mail
gracey (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/01/10/23/05CDC59A000003E8-0-image-a-12_1515627389124.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/01/01/2138848790796058737/1024x576_MP4_2138848790796058737.mp4

The BBC has dominated the most-watched TV programmes chart for last year, despite losing its former ratings juggernaut The Great British Bake Off.

Audience figures for the whole of 2017 show the Corporation aired 19 of the top 20 programmes, thanks to bumper audiences for Strictly Come Dancing and Blue Planet II.

Episodes - Sir - David - Attenborough - History

All seven episodes of Sir David Attenborough's underwater natural history series made the list, with the launch – featuring extraordinary scenes of a bird-eating fish - pulling in the highest audience of the year with 14million.

Yet, this figure was nearly 2million viewers down on the most popular TV programme of 2016, when 15.9million tuned in to watch Candice Brown crowned the winner of Bake Off.

Slots - Show - Programmes - £75million - Move

Despite occupying all but one of the top 11 slots in 2016, the baking show failed to make the top 20 programmes following its £75million move to Channel 4.

Meanwhile, ITV stopped it being a clean sweep for the BBC, with the launch of I' m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! Attracting the eighth-biggest TV audience of the year.

People - Ant - McPartlin - Return - TV

More than 12.2million people tuned in to watch Ant McPartlin's much-anticipated return to TV and the sight of Boris Johnson's dad Stanley entering the Australian jungle.

Record audiences for Strictly Come Dancing saw it feature ten times on the list, peaking with 13million viewers for last month's final, won by former Holby City actor Joe McFadden.

Success - Dancing - Show - Backlash - Fans

The success of the dancing show came despite early backlash from fans that they did not recognise several of the celebrity contestants, and is likely to have been helped by a decline in X Factor ratings.

Given the nation's love for baking, dancing and marine wildlife, dramas like Line of Duty and Poldark struggled to challenge for a spot in the chart, with only the New Year's Day instalment of Sherlock making the list with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!