Narrative Lectionary: Come and See Edition (John 1:35-51)

RevGalBlogPals | 1/2/2018 | Staff
adele2234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo:

Welcome to 2018!

This week we continue our journey through John 1 (3 weeks now!) and finalize the hand off from John the Baptist to Jesus, the Word-Made-Flesh, the Lamb of God who takest away the sin of the world (to use some phrases that have already been offered by the Gospel writer to describe Jesus). You can read the passage (John 1:35-51) here.

Folks - Preacher - Commentary - Podcast - Juices

As usual the folks at Working Preacher have provided a commentary and a podcast to help get our sermonic juices flowing (I greatly enjoyed this week’s podcast). These verses are also included in the RCL but broken up a bit differently so you can find resources for verses 29-42 or resources for verses 43-51.

Some how when I was reading this passage last week I was reminded of the old shampoo commercial “So I told two friends, and they told two friends, and so on and so on…” (you can view it here) Strangely I suspect passing such information about products (or recipes or movies/TV shows) may come more naturally to many people, myself included, than passing on the Good News about this man named Jesus.

John - Followers - Jesus - Jesus - Andrew

But that is what we see happening here. John tells two of his followers about Jesus. They go and engage Jesus. Andrew is impressed enough to go and tell Simon/Peter. Then Phillip is recruited by Jesus, and in turn is impressed enough to go find Nathanael. The word is spreading (and Jesus has yet to really start doing anything in this Gospel).

We see the early beginnings of what will become Christian evangelism in its healthiest and most helpful form.

People - Jesus - Presence - Someone

People meet Jesus, they talk to him, they experience his presence and are so moved that they have to tell someone else. They are insistent that this...
(Excerpt) Read more at: RevGalBlogPals
Wake Up To Breaking News!