Click For Photo: http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5a465b84b0bcd5ab188b744e-1190-625/the-bronx-fire-that-killed-12-was-apparently-caused-by-a-3-year-old-child-playing-with-the-burners-on-a-stove.jpg
Investigators believe the deadly fire that ripped through a Bronx building Thursday evening was caused by a child playing with a stove, New York City officials said.
The fire killed 12, including four children, making it the deadliest New York City blaze in decades.
Blaze - Bronx - Building - Thursday - Night
The blaze that ripped through a Bronx building on Thursday night and killed 12, including four children, was caused by a small child playing with a stove in a first-floor apartment, New York City officials said Friday.
"It seems like a horrible, tragic accident," Mayor Bill de Blasio said in an interview with WNYC radio.
Boy - Burners - Stove - Fire - Commissioner
A three-year-old boy had been playing with the burners on the stove, Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said in a news conference. He added that the young boy had a history of doing so, and while his mother was in the apartment at the time, she did not notice the fire until she heard his screams.
When she grabbed the young boy and his two-year-old sister to leave, the mother left the door open, allowing the flames to spread up the stairway, which "acted like a chimney," Nigro said.
Fire - Stairs - People - Time - Stairs
"It took the fire so quickly up the stairs that people had very little time to react, they couldn't get back down the stairs. Those that tried, a few of them perished," he said.
The fatalities included a one-year-old, a...
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators may not be able to differentiate between you.