Lee Wyatt’s Gospel for People Who Aren’t Guilt-Ridden

Mercy Not Sacrifice | 12/28/2017 | Staff
entengo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/mercynotsacrifice/files/2017/12/416344_10200146701973255_994118271_o.jpg

My Facebook friend Lee Wyatt has written a book called The Incredible Shrinking Gospel about the way that the gospel in American Christianity has been reduced to so much less than the gospel really is. One of the things Lee is really passionate about is reaching people who don’t feel bad about themselves which the Four Spiritual Laws gospel seems to require. Here’s what Lee has to share about his book.

MG: Where should we start?

LW - Shrinking - Gospel - Gospel - Gospel

LW: It’s titled “The Incredible Shrinking Gospel.” It’s about the truncated gospel that underwrites the western gospel of Billy Graham and the four spiritual laws. it’s in two parts. Part one is a fleshing out of an “unshrunk” gospel. After a chapter setting the scene, two follow on “gospel” and “kingdom.’ The heart of part 1 are a series of seven chapters: The Jesus Read, Creed, Need, Bleed, Seed, Feed, and Deed. Part 2 is about evangelism and with the help of Bonhoeffer I break some new ground (I think) about approaching people in their strength rather than their weaknesses. The form of the church in a new age I explore in a variety of ways.

MG: So how would you summarize the unshrunk gospel?

LW - Ways - Book - Kingdom-centered - Today

LW: I do in several ways in the book. Kingdom-centered (though today I would say Temple-centered, but that’s another story). about God’s purpose from the beginning to have a world of human beings with who he could share life and love as we carry out the human vocation given us in creation to be God’s royal priests. Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection are about not only reclaiming us from sin (the core of the default western gospel) but ultimately about restoring us to our primal dignity and vocation. The SHRINKING gospel stops short of that last part and unwittingly becomes what I call...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mercy Not Sacrifice
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!