A Ska Band's Attempt to Make Amends Over Homophobic Comments Creates Controversy

OC Weekly | 12/25/2017 | Brittany Woolsey
TimHyuga (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://images1.ocweekly.com/imager/u/original/8656244/belikemax.jpg

While neither Fine nor his band directly used homophobic slurs, according to screenshots from the Facebook thread, George said he was still offended by their choice of words.

"[Charley] was the first to call me a '**** ****,' which is still homophobic **** to say to a gay male," George said. "Calling a gay male a **** is an emasculating thing to do. I mean, think about what's being implied when someone tells a man to 'quit being a ****.'"

George - Band - Fine - Comments - Fun

George further went on to say that because the band or Fine did not censor or delete the comments making fun of him, that showed they "stood behind the statement."

Bands and promoters — including Overeasy booking, which books big-name bands like MXPX and Screeching Weasel and was handling that Be Like Max tour — disregarded George's concerns and blamed him for how the situation escalated, George said. He believed this showed how easily victims of harassment are silenced.

Thought - 'it - Band - Bands - Promoters

"It's making my strong thought of 'it's not about me' even stronger," he said. "It goes so much deeper than just the band. Other bands and promoters defended them and protected them from any repercussions. In the end, it made me scared for all women and LGBT individuals in the scene because I realized any victims will face the same treatment and same defense of their attackers by the scene. It scared the **** out of me."

Fine, in a statement sent to the Weekly, said he thought George was joking in the post at first and responded as such.

Mature - Adult - Road - Fine - Point

"It quickly became apparent that he was not joking and instead of acting like a mature adult, I took the low road and bullied him," Fine said. "It got to a point where friends of mine used homophobic language knowing this gentleman was gay, and I did...
(Excerpt) Read more at: OC Weekly
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators may not be able to differentiate between you.