Plastic plague in our seas kills more than 1,000 turtles a year: Nine in ten found tangled in rubbish are already dead as experts warn it's a bigger threat than oil pollution

Mail Online | 12/11/2017 | Colin Fernandez Environment Correspondent For The Daily Mail
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/12/12/01/473BB05700000578-0-image-a-7_1513042942744.jpg

More than nine in ten turtles found entangled in discarded plastic are dead by the time they are discovered, British research has revealed.

Plastic rubbish is posing a bigger risk to turtles than oil spills, the study said – with the greatest impact on hatchlings and young turtles.

Review - Research - Reports - Turtles - Cent

A review of research into reports of stranded turtles found that 91 per cent of turtles recorded as entangled in string were found dead.

They had suffered serious wounds from the ordeal, leading to maiming, loss of limbs or choking, while some of those that survived had been forced to drag discarded rubbish or debris with them.

Turtles - Waste - Nets - Twine - Nylon

It found turtles are being ensnared by waste including lost fishing nets, plastic twine and nylon fishing line, as well as six-pack rings from canned drinks, plastic packaging straps, and balloon and kite strings.

Others were discovered caught up in discarded plastic chairs, wooden crates and even weather balloons.

Study - Endangered - Species - Research - Light

The study, published in Endangered Species Research, sheds light on the threat of pollution to marine turtles – who are also threatened by choking on plastic bags they mistake for prey.

The Daily Mail is at the forefront of campaigns to stop plastic pollution poisoning our environment.

Author - Brendan - Godley - Professor - Conservation

Lead author Brendan Godley, professor of conservation science at the University of Exeter warned that, as plastic pollution increases, more turtles are likely to become entangled.

Deaths from entanglement have increased substantially over the last century for turtles, as well as marine mammals and birds.

Researchers - Experts - Atlantic - Pacific - Caribbean

The researchers surveyed experts on the Atlantic, Pacific Caribbean, Mediterranean and Indian Ocean coast. They found that 84 per cent of the 106 that responded said they had found turtles tangled in rubbish.

The report concluded that, based on the survey, more than...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep