Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton’s 30 Years of Received Correspondence Featured in New Book and More News Shorts

spectrummagazine.org | 12/7/2017 | Staff
AnnieFoxx (Posted by) Level 3
Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton’s 30 Years of Received Correspondence Featured in New Book. Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton, Australia's most divisive parent, has shared many of the 30,000 missives she received in the 35 years since the death of her baby Azaria with author Alana Valentine. "She always still seems to be on trial," the author of Dear Lindy: A Nation Responds to the Loss of Azaria told news.com.au. "People come and ask what happened that night; it's incomprehensible." Valentine's annotated book of letters sent to Lindy over the decades lays bare how Australians have treated the 69-year-old since her nine-week-old daughter Azaria was taken by a dingo at an Uluru campsite in 1980. Despite everything the couple went through, Valentine notes that the worst letters were only a tiny percentage, and that Lindy received far more words of sympathy. "I hope people will take heart that there was kindness," she said. A large proportion of the letters are apologies from people who had originally disbelieved her tale. "I am or should I say was, one of those awful people guided by public opinion that you were guilty," reads one letter after Lindy published her autobiography. "Your book made me cry several times.” Valentine believes the collection of letters are an interesting display of mass contrition. The author says the letters have become the bereaved mother's record of her lost daughter. She still receives around 1,000 emails every year. From The Chronicle, “‘Torture in ****’: Vicious taunts in cruel letters.”

**** Former Adventist Creates New Bible App. Crystal Cheatham came up with the idea for a new gay-friendly app called “Our Bible” to make LGBTI Christians feel welcome and affirmed. It features a gender-neutral God (traditional Bibles reference God with male pronouns), pro-women sentiment, and centers on people of color. She told PBS, “When I came...
(Excerpt) Read more at: spectrummagazine.org
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!